Sunday, September 14, 2008

Technology in education

I am really glad that I had the oppourtunity to read this blog about keeping up with technology in the classroom. In this post Karl Fisch talks about the importance of keeping up with technology in the classroom today. He is a strong believer that all educators need to be literate in technology in order to teach properly in the classroom. He even compares it to not being able to read and then trying to teach in a classroom. The question he posts and the end of his discussion is "If a teacher today is not technologically literate - and is unwilling to make the effort to learn more - it's equivalent to a teacher 30 years ago who didn't know how to read and write." ( karl Fisch source:http://thefischbowl.blogspot.com/2007/09/is-it-okay-to-be-technologically.html. It may seem to be an extreme question but it really got people thinking and talking.
This post really hit home for me because I have found myself guilty of complaining about the fact that I have been out of school and that i felt I was about 10 years behind the technology boom with blogs, podcasts, ect. This article was a real eye opener and in fact has be now more then willing to learn and keep up so I can be the best teacher that I can be. Until recently I did not realize how important technology had become as a learning tool in the classroom. His post was brilliant and got a lot of great reponses from other teachers chimming in on their thoughs and experiences. It was neat to see how strongly people felt about this. In fact he was nominated for an edublog award for this post.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home